Well, the sunburn is now in the itching phase, so that’s probably good news. It’s still tender to the touch but nowhere near as bad as before. But still not safe to wear a bra.

Since I’m not exactly light in the chestal region and am wearing an exceedingly thin shirt, I’ve stayed home since Saturday. That may sound like a negative, but it actually means I’ve had an excuse not to run any errands since Saturday.

The dentist called back and I officially don’t need a deep scale cleaning or a crown.

She does want to do a step up from the normal cleaning, but it’s been about 3 years since my last one. So I had kind of assumed that would happen. And at $62 (compared to $495), I’m more than happy to comply.

She also wants to keep an eye on the tooth, but she doesn’t think it needs a crown just yet. Sold!

I need to invest in some Listerine and try to make flossing part of my going-to-bed routine. As a depressive, it goes in cycles. And, like cooking, once you get out of the habit, it seems ridiculously onerous to start again. Even though it really isn’t.

Point being, I have to start taking care of my teeth. (She said, having eaten jelly beans and Cadbury Minis the last two nights. Moderation in all things, folks.)

Another update: AMC did get in touch a few days ago. Granted, it was after I left a polite but unhappy message on the company’s Facebook page.

The manager was very apologetic. I still don’t love the answer about posted prices. They’re apparently trying to work with the home office about clarification or displaying it correctly or something.

They seemed pretty clear on the policy to me. And I’m not really sure why the home office is needed to display prices. Maybe they’re stock picturs sent by AMC to individual theaters.

So, at least they’re trying. But the wrong prices are still posted for the foreseeable future.

Regarding $3 credits for large drink/popcorn vouchers, that was indeed a mistake. There are also vouchers for small drink/popcorn. Those are the ones that get only a $3 credit.

Impressive, really, since both the server and her manager didn’t read the voucher carefully.

Same coloring and background on both vouchers. But one reads “one small popcorn” in the same font size, on the same line. The other reads “FREE LARGE popcorn” on three different lines. The first two words are significantly larger than the third.

So… yeah. Hooray for minimum wage quality of service.

Anyway, we’re getting free ticket vouchers (the manager emphasized that there was NO fee to use these) and some food/drink coupons. We’ll see how that trip goes.

1 jestjack March 21, 2013 at 3:57 am

What great news,,,,I really didn't expect you would here anything from AMC. Reassuring to hear that they tried to make things right. I recently went with DW and DD2 to the "OZ" film and about passed out when I was told that the "matinee" for three of us was $34.50! The very brief explanation by the cashier referred to a confusing chart which resembled the sticker of listed options on a new car window. Of course the fact that this was viewed in IMAX bumped up the price about $3 …a piece. The real kicker is that had it not been a matinee the cost would have soared to over $50. We were the only folks in the theatre…..I think it will be a while before I return,

Donna Freedman Reply:

Hey jestjack: Try paying for your movies with a discounted gift card bought on the secondary market. You'll save up to 20% that way. Here's a link to my Frugal Nation article explaining how to do that: http://money.msn.com/frugal-living/post.aspx?post
Note that if you buy the cards through a cash-back shopping site you can sometimes save up to 1.5% more. (If you want to join Mr. Rebates, you can just click on the widget on Abby's site.)
It'll still be expensive, but 20% (or more) off does help.

jestjack Reply:

Thanks Donna for the advice. I was kind of caught "flat-footed" by the gals to participate in a "family" outing. DW did have gift cards…not sure what she paid…but $34.50…at 10 AM…jeez. ….Thanks again for the good advice!

jestjack Reply:

Ouch! IMAX or 3D will always take a bite, but still… Back when I worked at a movie theater oh so long ago it was $5.50 for a matinee and $7 at night. Sigh.

Donna Freedman Reply:

It'll still be expensive, but 20% (or more) off does help.

2 Catseye March 21, 2013 at 7:59 am

Good to know that AMC got back with you, Abby. Good luck using the new vouchers. Also, very good to hear you won't need a crown. I've paid for one out-of-pocket, so I know just how expensive they can be.

Yep, at least I don't need a crown just yet. If I take care of my teeth, maybe I just flat-out won't need one at all. Only time will tell.

Kat Reply:

Did you talk to her about sealing your teeth? It really helped me. I've been told by every dentist who I trusted that I have acidic saliva, and the worst clench they've seen (crack one little night guard and they never let you forget it).
Oh, you also mentioned you have a hard time getting into the routine of flossing. What helped me was to get one of those flossers with a handle and disposable heads. It made it a lot easier and faster. The other thing I did was to put the fresh head on my pillow. It reminded me that I couldn't go to bed without flossing. The other thing that can help is a water pick. I know it's expensive, but your mouth will feel so clean. Plus, when your sick, or have meds that give you dry mouth the tongue cleaning head helps get that ucky film off, and kills off that horrible taste.

Argh! Knew I forgot something! I’ll call next week to get an estimate.

Tim was telling me we should get a water-pik. And I have been thinking about it before all this. Guess it’s a sign.

I love the idea of putting the floss on the pillow! For now, I’m doing okay on the flossing routine. But if I start to falter, I guess that’ll be my go-to.

Argh! Knew I forgot something! I’ll call next week to get an estimate.

Kat Reply:

3 Crystal @ PET March 22, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Glad you are healing up! We went to the beach house last week and a few of my friends were pretty badly burned. Ocean Potion (an aloe vera/lidocaine mixture) helped a lot.

Yep, Tim says I’m starting to peel. I’ll have to take his word for it, since it’s on my back and hard to see. But it itches a lot, so that’s… something. I love the aloe vera gel I got, which also has the lidocaine. Ahhhhh.

4 Reta Davis March 27, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Abigail: Dearie, check with your dentist before buying the Listerine. It's that new thing about over-cleaning (like all the hand sanitizers, antiseptic soaps, etc.) that could cause you more problems. Depends on your Dr's philosophy, but a milder solution might be just as helpful.

I did talk to the dental hygienist about the mouthwash situation. She said I should definitely use mouthwash — though, of course, flossing is more important — and she recommended Crest Pro Health.

Given that I only ever get around to brushing, flossing and now gargling once a day, I probably won’t end up overcleaning. But it’s something I’ll keep an eye one.