The big day is finally here! Or it will be.
I’m writing this the day before because… birthday.
Since I’m writing ahead of time, I can’t say for sure what happens. But the outline so far is:
- IHOP for breakfast
- Go home to digest
- Go to Dave & Buster’s for a little bit
- Maybe stop in Sephora*
- Maybe see a movie (Trainwreck or Man from UNCLE, depending on my mood)
- Go get my slab o’ chocolate cake
- Eat wherever I decide that day.
*Only if Mom’s GC arrives by then. I don’t like paying actual Sephora prices, but I’m happy to pay post-GC prices.
A few thoughts on this day:
- I’ve gotten to an age where I have to do the math when people ask how old I am
- I should now be allowed to say words like whippersnapper and youngin’ without irony.
- I should be allowed to tell darn kids to get off my lawn
- We need a lawn. And kids to run across it
- Crap, 37 is middle age, isn’t it?
- Do women get mid-life crises? Are there any that don’t involve younger men or overpriced cars?
A few things younger me didn’t see coming:
- Still no kids, but let’s not dwell too much on sad stuff
- I’ve become the kind of person who asks for gift cards on her birthday**
- I’ve become the kind of person who buys overpriced hair products, thereby making GCs are a necessary rationalization
- I’m now worried about wrinkles. Which are really just a few scattered fine lines.
- I’m now sensitive about my laugh lines. Maybe I should just smile all the time.
- Nope, cheeks are already cramping.
- I still have pimples. Not fair!
**Arguably better than last year, when I asked my mother-in-laws for ankle weights. But I do love those suckers!
Also, has anyone else gotten sappier with age? I was totally sappy as a kid, and I thought for sure it’d get better once I was a cynical adult. But despite being a grouchy, jaded woman, I seem to have actually gone up on the sap-o-meter.
It’s not just cliche movie and TV stuff, though that’d be bad enough.
I was listening to “The Ghosts that Haunt Me Now” by Crash Test Dummies, and I started tearing up. Because I thought about all the ghosts Tim has helped me chase away from my life.
Stupid loving husband pulling on my heart strings!
What kind of thoughts do you have on your birthday?
Also, inre: wrinkles… I’ve had RoC Night Cream recommended. Any suggestions for daytime anti-wrinkle goop? Forehead and/or eyes.