It occurs to me that I never updated you guys about a couple of important things.
My doctor is awesome
As you may recall, the doctor prescribing my Adderall (for fatigue) is under review and can no longer prescribe Schedule 2 drugs. I went to my primary care doctor to see whether he’d prescribe the Adderall while this doc is under review. I didn’t have much hope, but he actually said yes!
I don’t know how long he’ll be willing to prescribe it, but at least I have an Adderall prescriber for now. And I have a lead on a potential different doctor. Someone in my trivia group gets Adderall for what, according to the psychiatrist, is either ADD or fatigue. I guess because fatigue can leave you scattered like ADD?
At any rate, that doctor seems okay prescribing my friend Adderall for a potentially off-label use, so there’s a chance he’d do the same for me. I’m going to see whether he’s covered under my insurance.
Even if I can’t get Adderall from that doctor, at least I have the name of a psychiatrist that someone likes. I hate having to randomly pick someone from a list and hope that the practitioner is okay.
On a side note, I now think I know why my current psychiatrist is under review.
I had to go to him for my other medications, and the office was deserted. There’s always one or two people before me (he usually runs a little late) and usually a couple of people in the waiting room as I leave. This time, it was completelyempty — and this is after they went down to three days a week.
So I suspect that he was prescribing too many of his patients controlled substances like Adderall, and it caught a review board’s eye. All of this means that even if he does get Schedule 2 prescribing privileges back, I’m guessing he’s not going to want to prescribe for off-label use anymore.
In other words, it’s a good thing that I’m going to look around for a replacement. Preferably one that will evaluate me for generalized anxiety disorder and talk medication options (hopefully Buspar).
Tim’s disability hearing
I wasn’t in the room, but the lawyer said that it went about as well as they could’ve hoped for. Some points came up that were against Tim, but many were in his favor. All in all, the lawyer thinks the judge is on the fence. So one of two things will happen:
- The judge will issue a decision
- He’ll decide to request a physical exam, which we would be notified of within a month (so about 1-2 weeks at this point)
If Tim does need to get a physical exam, it’ll be scheduled by the SSA. Once that were over, the results would be sent to the judge who might hold another hearing before making a decision.
Did I mention that getting the decision now takes about four to five months?
We’re trying not to go crazy waiting for the decision. We both expected to get a decision immediately after the hearing, since that’s what happened when each of us got approved for disability. Unfortunately, they no longer issue bench decisions; so we’re stuck waiting.
If the judge rules against Tim, the lawyer will look at the decision and see whether there’s anything we can appeal. If not, I’m not sure if there’s further recourse. I think you have the option of suing the government in court, but god I hope it doesn’t come to that.
I just keep telling myself that lawyers who work on contingency don’t take cases that they don’t think they can win. And try to ignore the fact that the lawyers can be wrong in their assessments.
Sharing the love (and germs)
Tim had a nasty cold that gave him splitting headaches and waves of dizziness/nausea that led to quite a bit of puking. He was so miserable that, if not for the puking, I’d have thought he had the flu. But apparently it’s just a nasty cold that’s going around.
And since married couples share everything…
I’m feeling the beginnings of a cold, but it’s still pretty minor. There was a sort of cloudiness in my sinus area and a tickle in the back of my throat for the past two days. I woke up with a slightly sore throat this morning.
I’m resting up, eating a ton of mandarin oranges and praying that it doesn’t get worse. Not just because I don’t want to puke, but also because I can’t really afford to miss work. I was hoping that, if I were going to get sick, it’d happen this weekend; but no such luck. Let’s hope this set of bare minimum symptoms just means that my immune system is stronger than we thought.
In the meantime, I’m watching the old Will & Grace, and trying to not stress out my system. And eating sherbet.
I’ve been on a sherbet kick for the past few weeks, and it’s starting to become a serious problem. I’ll have to put the kibosh on it soon… After the throat tickle stops.