I’ve been doing the math for the past week or so on the oral surgery issue.
The initial surgery would be Tim getting the bases of the implants placed. We’ll then wait three months before the surgeon will go back and attach the posts. Those are what will snap into his new dentures.
If all goes well, we would have plenty of time for the whole procedure by the end of the year — even allowing for winter holidays.
There’s a chance that an implant will fail. By which I think they mean fail to attach to the bone. It’s something like a 10% chance per implant, and Tim’s getting eight.
Personally, I’m not convinced that it’s a cumulative probability. That is, I think each implant has an individual 10% chance to fail; but that doesn’t necessarily mean that eight equals an 80% chance.
Either way, there’s a risk of failure. And if an implant fails, they’ll need to place a new one, which restarts the three-month clock.
In other words, even if we got started next month, there’s a possibility that we might not get everything done by the end of the year. And if we’re going to pay $25,000, I want it all in the same year so that we can take the itemized deduction. (Our mortgage is small enough that it’s better if we just take the standard deduction.)
I called the oral surgeon and confirmed that the quote we received won’t expire. I still have to call the guy who would make the dentures, but I’m guessing there would be little to no change on those costs either.
So the new plan is to start in January 2016. Even if an implant fails and then the replacement implant fails, we’d still get everything done with time to spare.
This will also give us a little extra time to save up some cash. We had been looking at paying $7,000 in July and then needing $18,000 in October/November. Now we’ll have until April 2016.
And speaking of savings…
The cost of the steakhouse was defrayed somewhat by a $50 Visa gift card we got for Christmas. So we ended up with $106.45 leftover, which has since been transferred to savings.
In addition, I overestimated how much money we’d need in April. Which means another $204 into savings. And we’ll be able to put away more than $1,300 from this paycheck.
Once all that money transfers, the total will be $13,012. That’s 52% of our goal! Exclamation points fuel my optimism!!!!
So that’s all the financial news that’s fit to print.
As for health:
We’re seeing the reproductive endocrinologist on Wednesday, so I may or may not have news on that front.
We got in to see an orthopedist today. We thought Tim had arthritis in his knees. Since, especially in cooler weather, he can have trouble walking. By “cool” I mean around 65 or less.
Good news: It’s not arthritis. Bad news: The treatments are about the same.
Apparently, he’s in the minority of people who have special tissue on the side of each knee. The tissue can rub against the bone and become swollen. And of course, the more it swells, the more it hurts.
Anyway, the options for now are anti-inflammatories or cortisone shots. He’s opting for the pills for now. Of course, he’s worried about the effects of long-term use; so he’ll probably mainly take them in the winter and for any flare-ups the rest of the time.
If that doesn’t do enough, he’ll try the shots. If it still doesn’t stop, there’s the option of arthroscopic surgery to shave down the tissue. (Ew.)
Now we need to see a different orthopedist about his back. It’d be nice if he weren’t in near-constant pain from that.
Never a dull moment with chronic ailments, eh?
Are any of you guys experiencing illness/ailment flare-ups? Will warmer weather help? Anyone else want to ooh and ahh at our progress. (You know you do!)