It’s just not a good month. Even ignoring the zillion appointments things have been tough.
There was Tim’s hospitalization. And this month’s saved savings are going to suck, since I haven’t been organized enough to shunt money over.
And then there’s the bills.
The credit card balance due in September is going to be more than $2,000. Here’s how it breaks down:
Remember how I estimated a $600 bill for that whole fertility shebang? Yeah, I got a bill for $900.
Turns out, I forgot to factor in the cost of the office visits and a couple of other things. Add in the cost of the meds, and the whole (failed) experience was over $1,000. Still better than $12,000 for IVF, but… ouch.
Then there was the $150 for Tim’s back MRI. (And we still don’t know anything because we had to cancel the followup appointment when Tim was hospitalized.)
Plus the three-month supply of Tim’s two meds for a cool $210.
Our yearly car insurance premium will be put on the bill too. We’ve been saving all year, but apparently not enough. Thanks to the accident, we’re going to pay $1,400 instead of $1,000.
And let’s not forget about the impending bills.
He stayed in the hospital for over 24 hours (though less than 48) so I’m guessing we’ll get charged for two days at $150 each.
Plus two ER visits other than the one where he got admitted. Those are $65 each.
The CT scan and the endoscopy will be somewhere between $125 – $200 each. Plus any meds/food/etc we’ll be responsible for.
In short — too late — we’ll have to raid savings in September to cover the bill.
On the bright side, all these charges give us enough miles to send Tim to Seattle.
Initially, I had nixed the trip for excellent reasons:
- We’re saving for his teeth
- We may lose his disability payments
- We’d then have to pay back whatever we got during the appeal
- And we’d have to get him insured through the marketplace.
Hopefully, the rheumatologist’s diagnosis (more on that later) will help keep him on disability, but nothing is certain.
Then my mom, of all people, told me that the above reasons were actually arguments in favor of sending him. Given all the uncertainty, we have no idea when we’ll be able to send him anywhere again.
Who knows when he’ll be able to go anywhere again?
He’s going to have to stay with friends again. That means bad things for his back, but compromises have to be made.
I’ve found a rental car for $150ish after taxes and fees. And day-to-day expenses will be the same, since he eats a lot of convenience food anyway. One of the friends he’ll stay with actually tends to cook a lot. So he might even save money in that area. At the very least, we’ll be no worse off.
So we’ll be looking at $150 plus $20 in taxes for the plane ticket. For a seven-day trip.
All in all, I think Mom is right. If this is the last hurrah for an indeterminate period of time… he might as well actually hurrah.
Have you guys been pummeled by bills lately? Would you decide to take the trip?