I finally put the finishing touches on the guest house this past weekend. I had to install a new door knob, paint the new window frames, put up the curtains and curtain rods and clean up all of the brackets, screws and other hardware that came away after we cleaned. Point being: It’s finally picture-ready (or as close as it gets, anyway).
It’s important to remember two things as I show you the “before” pictures.
First of all, both of Tim’s parents have mobility issues, making it difficult for them to clean. Second, I told them not to worry about cleaning — though only because they’d taken so long packing that there was simply no time for Nadine to also clean as she went.
Point being, there were some pretty disgusting messes afterward, but don’t think that Tim’s parents purposefully left it this bad. I just pity Mom, who did most of the cleaning.
Once we swept everything up, Mom set to work scrubbing the floors. She did her best on the spots, including small brown spots (probably dog urine that hadn’t been cleaned up in time) but some of them just wouldn’t come out. They also left two bright pink spots of what I can only assume was Nadine’s Crystal Light that must’ve gotten spilled and not completely cleaned up:
Besides that, there were also a soft spot in the floor from what I assume was one of the legs of the bed. When she wasn’t cooking, Nadine would mainly spend her time at home in the bedroom either sleeping, reading or watching TV. All of which was done on the bed. Which means she was constantly putting pressure on one of the legs of the bed, and I’m mildly certain that’s what caused the soft spot.
I’d just like to remind everyone that these floors are less than two years old. And cost me $1,500. Not that I’m bitter.
One of the main issues was just how dingy the walls were. To be fair, they hadn’t been painted for eight years, but good lord they needed painting. Mom and I tackled some of the painting ourselves, but a friend Christine came over and helped me finish, god bless her.
One of the biggest problems with the guest house is that it has zero overhead lighting outside of the kitchen. So Mom convinced me to put in some track lighting. It was a debacle worthy of a sitcom, but we did eventually manage to get it installed:
As you can see, we also took down the hideous blinds that the previous homeowner had put up and added nice curtains and curtain rods. The windows are 6′ long, so I had to go with a sturdier rods that wouldn’t bow in the middle. This meant going the JCPenney route rather than the BigLots route. Oh well, it’s tax deductible, right?
And of course, there are the snazzy new windows:
Doesn’t that look better than the aluminum framed ones that were previously there? It’s something I was going to get around to in a year or so anyway, so I figured I might as well get it out of the way when there was no tenant to disturb. Man, but that $1,800 price tag stung!
Beyond that, the rest was just a matter of cleaning. Almost all of which Mom did. I wish I’d thought to get pictures of the fridge because that sucker was gnarly. I’m not sure when it had last been cleaned, but certainly at least 8 years ago. Granted, I don’t clean my fridge either, but I don’t keep that much food in it, which means there’s not much to get it dirty. So it kind of works out. Point being, the fridge in the guest house was friggin’ gross, but Mom got it practically back to new — and certainly back to clean.
As for the bathroom, Mom spackled the dent in the wall and furiously scrubbed the walls, toilet, sink and shower stall. A new toilet seat was called for because some things just can’t be saved. I also had to replace the showerhead, since Tim’s parents had apparently purchased the old one.
And the kitchen got scrubbed down thoroughly.
All in all, pretty good. I mean, the place will never be lovely, but I’m only going to ask $450 including utilities. Someone will be thrilled to get it –even if the bedroom has a closet door but no actual closet and the wood paneling is coming away from the wall.